18 hours per week £8980/per annum (FTE: £17462)
Places of work: ReMode@SAUWS, Paisley and ReMode MakeSpace, Lochwinnoch
Days of work: Wednesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays plus some occasional evening and further weekend work.
ReMode Renfrewshire is a Youth focused organisation whose aim is to raise awareness of the environmental impact of textiles and to furnish young people and the wider community with the knowledge and practical skills needed to reduce this impact.
The Organisation operates a shop of redesigned and reclaimed clothing in Paisley called ReMode @ SAUWS and also ReMode MakeSpace in Lochwinnoch Village where we run a programme of workshops and events. Both venues serve as learning hubs where our local communities can access information about climate change and actions that they can take to tackle it.
ReDress Assistant Responsibilities and Duties:
- Practical workshop support where required – specifically of our shop based ‘ReMode Drop-in’ sessions to support and assist our target groups in learning clothing mend and adapt skills.
- Support the making and finishing garments to a high standard of quality.
- Practical day to day running of the ReMode shop and ReMode Pop-ups including:
- Creative displaying of stock on rails, shelving and of thematic window displays,
- Opening and locking up the shop.
- Receiving and recording garment donations, membership tokens and handling and reconciliation of cash.
- Washing and preparation – including small mend and adapt sewing jobs – of donated garments and materials for the shop and ReMode Pop-up events.
- Keeping the ReMode shop, back shop and Make Space, clean, tidy and attractive by doing general tidying up and housekeeping.
- Creative documentation of stock and events for social media platforms.
- Dealing with customer enquiries and drop-in visitors – always with respect and a high level of customer service in mind.
- Support and assistance of volunteers while they are in the shop.
- Handling telephone calls, voicemails, general enquiries and passing them to the relevant person within ReMode Renfrewshire or providing information to satisfy the enquiry.
- Reporting any issues relating to the shop or pop-ups to the project Manager.
The assistant will also:
Assist and support the Creative Director and Manager with administrative tasks.
Support the aims and objectives of the ReMode Renfrewshire Project.
• Strong demonstrable practical skills in dressmaking, sewing and display creation.
• Strong creative skills and an innovative flair.
• A strong interest in clothing design and fashion.
• An energetic individual with high levels of initiative to identify what needs done and to take the required actions.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organisational skills including good timekeeping.
• A full clean driving licence.
• Availability to work on the days required for the post, particularly on Saturdays.
• Be willing to have a full disclosure carried out through the PVG scheme as you may be working with vulnerable adults and/or young people.
• An interest in learning and on-going professional development.
• An interest in and desire to learn more about environmental issues.
- Fashion retail experience
• Training opportunities in the field of Circular Economy and Sustainable Fashion.
• Training opportunities in carbon literacy.
• Learning opportunities within the post to develop a sound understanding of climate change and its relationship to the textile industry.
• Opportunities to get involved with like minded organisations like Fashion Revolution Scotland who work in partnership with ReMode Renfrewshire.
• Opportunities to work alongside experienced Scottish Designers working within the field of Sustainable Fashion.
Send us a CV and a written statement detailing how you fulfill the essential and desirable criteria of the post and why you are the right person for the role. Statement to be no more than 550 words on one side of A4.
CV and statement to be submitted as one single PDF document and emailed to email@example.com by 5pm on Thursday 18th April. Email Subject heading : Job title + Your Name
If you have any questions contact Creative Director, Gillian Steel. firstname.lastname@example.org